One day in the middle of nowhere

Hi again 😀 jajaja!

I am electronics engineer and I work for a startup company in the marine area. At the moment, I spend my time at the research and development department. We are a very small group of engineers trying to build an echosounder product to compete with other brands globally.

In February, I embarked on a ship to test the new equipment. So, we had to travel 20 nautical miles from the coast of Mar del Plata. At the distance you couldn’t see the city, we were literally in the middle of nowhere. The voyage took approximately 2 hours. One doesn’t perceive it, but the ships move very slowly!

It was a new and strange experience because I never sail and stay on a ship for a long time. My stomach wasn’t very happy at the beginning of the day and I had to throw up a couple of times. The same thing happened to my colleagues.

I had three monitors in front of me when I was trying to configure the prototype. So, I had to focus on a point of the screen because I needed to program in that moment. The captain explained when you put your eyes in a fixed point for a long time, by the movement of the ship it is very common to throw up. So, we took turns until the dizziness stopped.

The operating principle of an echosounder is to send out a sound pulse with a broad spectral content. So, when we were working, some dolphins appeared and surrounded the ship. We weren’t sure but most likely they approached because they heard our sound. I never saw a dolphin so close. I clearly took out my cell phone to record it. It seemed very strange to see ducks in that area, there was nothing. The ducks didn’t seem to want to do anything, like me.

After 12 hours of hard work, we returned to the yacht club. It was beautiful to see the sunset during the voyage. I could really feel a special atmosphere. There was a lot of peace and quiet. It made me feel insignificant before the immensity of the sea.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My best friend

Wild nature